There is no doubt that working from home can be a luxury. But it can also have some hidden challenges, i.e. it is 5:00pm and you are still in your pajamas. Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your time out of the office and some inspirational spaces to go with it.
1. Close the Door. Finding space that is just yours can be a challenge in any household, but it’s imperative to move out of the action and into a place that eliminates distractions and allows you to focus. Creating a defined workspace allows you to get in the zone, and keeps others out of it.
2. Make a List and Write it Down. All too often we know the tasks that need to get done, but get distracted by others along the way. Writing down your list of to do’s creates personal accountability and helps prioritize the important tasks for the day. It also helps to curb that overwhelming feeling that you will never finish it all.
3. Personalize your Space. At the end of the day work is still work no matter the location. Creating a personalized space can keep you motivated and productive. Finding ways to incorporate photographs or postcards, plants and candles can transform your desk into a haven and provide a refuge for efficiency.
4. Set a Schedule and Create Deadlines. Often a lack of structure and schedule can act an impediment when working from home. It is important to maintain the basic boundaries that you would as if you were commuting in – meaning – Get dressed. Have coffee. Review your calendar and try to layout what it is you need to accomplish in your day.
5. Get Out of the House. Don’t become a hermit. If your job allows you to work from home on most days it is still important to maintain relationships with those in the office and throughout the organization for which you work. Make an effort to maintain your network through coffee and lunches and even calls. Working from home is not an excuse to disconnect.
Here are a few inspiring home offices that we would all like to work in!